On March 8, Trust for America’s Health held a briefing to explore the new report, Promoting Health and Cost Control: How States Can Improve Community Health and Well-being Through Policy Change, which highlights 13 evidence-based policies that if adopted by states can improve the health and well-being of their residents. During the event, national experts highlighted the importance of addressing the social determinants of health through policy change at the local, state and national level.
- John Auerbach, MBA, President & CEO, Trust for America’s Health
- Nadine Gracia, MD, MSCE, Executive Vice President & COO, Trust for America’s Health
- Giridhar Mallya, MD, MSHP, Senior Policy Officer, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Anand Parekh, MD, MPH, FACP, Chief Medical Advisor, Bipartisan Policy Center
- Von Nguyen, MD, MPH, Deputy Associate Director for Policy and Strategy, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Michael Fraser, PhD, CAE, FCPP, CEO, Association of State and Territorial Health Officials
In addition, state leaders were celebrated for their achievements and leadership in improving the health and well-being of their state through multi-sector policy solutions.
Advancing Health awardees included:
- Mayor Muriel Bowser* (DC)
- Governor Larry Hogan** (MD)
- Governor Gina Raimondo*** (RI)
* Award to be accepted on behalf of Mayor Bowser by Wayne Turnage, Deputy Mayor of Health and Human Services
** Award to be accepted on behalf of Governor Hogan by Robert Neall, Maryland Secretary of Health
*** Award to be accepted on behalf of Governor Raimondo by Rebecca Boss, State Director of the Rhode Island Department of Behavioral Healthcare, Developmental Disabilities and Hospitals