TFAH and Aligning for Health co-hosted a virtual congressional briefing on December 15, 2020. The virtual briefing featured current Congressional staffers who highlighted opportunities in the 117th Congress to support effective and innovative approaches to Social Determinants of Health (SDOHs).
SDOHs are the social and economic conditions – such as those in transportation, housing, employment, food security, and education – that influence individual and community health. SDOHs are receiving increased attention from insurance companies, hospitals, healthcare systems, and governmental agencies interested in health outcomes and controlling costs. Now more than ever, centering cross-sector, public health strategies and funding can build strong foundations for effective, long-term solutions to improve health and potentially drive down health care costs. Some recent legislation that addresses some of these issues include the Social Determinants Accelerator Act of 2019 (H.R. 4004/ S. 2986) and the Improving Social Determinants of Health Act of 2020 (H.R. 6561/S. 4440)
- Improving Social Determinants of Health Act of 2020 Fact Sheet
- Improving Social Determinants of Health Act Bill Text: H.R. 6561, S. 4440
- Social Determinants Accelerator Act Summaries: H.R 4004, S. 2986
- Social Determinants Accelerator Act Bill Text: H.R. 4004, S. 2986
- Daphne Delgado, Senior Government Relations Manager, Trust for America’s Health
- Melissa Quick, Co-Chair, Aligning for Health
- Kristin Flukey, Legislative Assistant, Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA-05)
- Shane Hand, Legislative Assistant, Rep. Tom Cole, (R-OK-04)
- Joshua Izaak, Legislative Director, Rep. Nanette Barragán (D-CA-44)
- Kripa Sreepada, Health Policy Advisor, Sen. Tina Smith (D-MN)
- Liam Steadman, Senior Policy Advisor, Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-IL-17)
For more information on the Improving Social Determinants of Health Act, contact Daphne Delgado, [email protected]. For more information on the Social Determinants Accelerator Act, contact Melissa Quick [email protected].